For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. Jeremiah 29:11-13

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Waverly Hills Sanitarium...

Yes, I am one of those people who likes to watch any TV [haunting] show about Waverly. I am fascinated with Waverly Hills history and the many many stories behind that old building that stands in Louisville.

I am one of those "I have to see it to believe it" people. I would absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE to take a tour at Waverly, but I think I would be scared out of my mind if I were to ACTUALLY go. Maybe if I had some not so afraid friends to go with me [hint, hint] I would go.

So what do you think? Is Waverly really haunted? Some of the stories are so crazy they are hard to believe then there are some stories that have so many different versions that are again hard to believe.

Some urban legends claim that "63,000 deaths" occurred at the Sanatorium. According to Assistant Medical Director Dr. J. Frank W. Stewart, the highest number of deaths in a single year at Waverly Hills was 152. Stewart wrote that the worst time for deaths was at the end of the Second World War when troops were returning from overseas with very advanced tuberculosis cases. Some independent researchers suggest that since 162 people died at Waverly Hills in 1945, the highest total number of deaths possible over 50 years was approximately 8,212.

The most popular story at Waverly is Room 502.





Here are a few of the different stories...

1. (the most popular) The head nurse in Rm 502 was found dead hanging in rm 502. She had committed suicide by hanging herself from the light fixture. She was 29 years-old at the time of her death and allegedly, unmarried and pregnant. Her depression over the situation led her to take her own life. It's unknown how long she may have been hanging in this room before her body was discovered.

2. Another nurse who worked in Room 502 was said to have jumped from the roof patio and plunged several stories to her death. No one seems to know why she would have done this but many have speculated that she may have actually have been pushed over the edge. There are no records to indicate this but rumors continue to persist.

And my favorite...

3. A crazy patient murdered a nurse in Room 502 by stabbing her to death. People claim to see the patient's ghost running out of the hospital's front door in a white nightgown, screaming at the top of her lungs. 

Halloween is just around the corner, any takers to go to Waverly for a tour ???

No comments:

Post a Comment