For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. Jeremiah 29:11-13

Friday, August 26, 2011

For Those Cinnamon Lovers…

Found a great recipe for my momma’s Cinnamon Bread as I was going through one of my cook books yesterday. I had completely forgotten about it and I’m hoping to make it this weekend.

I remember when I was little waking up to the smell of cinnamon bread on Saturday mornings.

YUMM!  Okay so here you go…



Cinnamon Bread

What you will need:

for the topping -

2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons margarine, melted

batter -
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk (see my note)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9x5 inch loaf pan (yes you can use nonstick spray) and then just sit that aside.

Topping: In a small bowl, combine the sugar, cinnamon and melted margarine. Use a fork to mix together and set aside.

Batter: Place the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in a small bowl and set aside.

Using a mixer on low speed combine oil and eggs. Add in half of the dry ingredients and mix to combine. Add in 1/2 cup of buttermilk and mix until blended. Add the remaining dry ingredients and blend. Add the second half of the buttermilk and combine until just moistened. Add in the vanilla. Pour the batter evenly into the pan you prepared earlier.
Drizzle the prepared topping over batter. Insert a knife into the batter and use a light swirling motion to give a marbled effect.

Bake for 50 minutes or until a toothpick comes clean when you insert it in the middle. Let the bread cool in pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
You can also make morning muffins!! Just remember to watch the baking times, it will be different from the loaf! Just check in on them and use the toothpick test! :)

** BUTTERMILK NOTE **
I found a nifty trick if you do not have buttermilk on hand… I have NEVER tried this… but if you don’t have buttermilk and do not want to venture out to the store this is something to try… Place a tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice in a measuring cup, and then fill to the one cup line with whole milk – sounds simple enough!

Hope you all enjoy this delicious recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment